Kaliadeh Palace

Rajkumar Jain

Sights & Landmarks

926 View
The Kaliadeh Palace is one of the most famous historical landmarks of the temple town of Ujjain. The palace was built by the Sultan of Mandu long back in the year 1458 A.D. The palace is situated on an island in the heart of the River Shipra.
 
At the time of the pindaris, the palace had been completely demolished and was restored back by Shri Madhav Rao Scindia in the year 1920. The palace has a great architectural value, and the central hall of the palace represents one of the finest examples of the Persian architecture.
 
The palace bears the legacy of holding two Persian inscriptions on the visit of Akbar and Jahangir. The palace is one of the most visited sites according to the Ministry of Tourism, Madhya Pradesh. One finds it beautiful as the river Shipra flows from both sides of the palace making the entire landscape more glorious.
 
The Kaliadeh Palace is located on the banks of the River Shipra and is the most visited sites of the state of Madhya Pradesh. It is like an isle that is separated by a small stretch of water that makes it look more elegant. this island-like site immediately conjures up the natural beauty of ancient Ujjain which poets down the ages have waxed lyrical. The glorious landscape of the flowing river on both sides of the palace and the man-made tanks and channels, with water gurgling through them, provide a spectacular backdrop to the imposing building.
 
The Avanti-mahatmya of Skanda Purana has recorded a description of the Sun temple and two tanks, The Surya Kunda and the Brahma Kunda. Remains of old temple are scattered all around. A fragmented inscription of this place records building of the palace in 1458 AD, in the time of Mahmud Khilji. The central dome of the palace is a beautiful example of Persian architecture. Two Persian inscriptions found in one of the long corridors of the palace record the visits of Emperor Akbar and Jehangir to this palace. The palace was broken down in the time of the Pindaris and was restored by Madhav Rao Scindia in 1920 to its present glory. The Sun Temple was also restored by the family.
 
The palace has been presently restored with its fineness and glory. Along with the compound wall and the pillars the sun temple is also renovated which is located at the centre of the palace. Since it is surrounded by River Shipra this palace shares the elegance of nature.

 


Related Post You May like

RAM GHAT

Rajkumar Jain

Monday, March 7, 2016

876 View

Ram Ghat, located near the Harsiddhi Temple in Ujjain is famous for its Kumbh Mela. Kumbh Mela is held in every 12 years. Ram Ghat is the most ancient bathing ghat in connection with the Kumbh celebrations.

Read More..

Pir Matsyendranath Samadhi

Rajkumar Jain

Friday, February 5, 2016

905 View

Pir Matsyendranath Samadhi is known as the tomb of Matsyendra Nath, the famous preceptor of Nath sect. Followers of Nath sect called their saints as Pir. Muslims also call their saints as pir.

Read More..